Winter is officially here and once again, everyone has forgotten how to drive in the snow! No one likes driving in the snow and sometimes it doesn’t matter if you have 4-wheel drive or not, you are going to be slipping and sliding all over the road. Since we live in an area where snow is prevalent there are a few things everyone should have in their car just in case. Here are a few items you should all have in your car this winter.
- Make sure to have an extra jacket or blanket in case you are stuck on the side of the road for a long time.
- A quality windshield ice scraper and brush.
- Always have a road safety kit with flares or reflective markers to notify other vehicles of your location.
- Jumper cables are always something that should be in your car.
- A small snow shovel in case you need to dig your car out.
- A bag of kitty litter or sand can help you gain traction if you are stuck.
- Make sure to have a bright flash light. A LED head lamp is a great option because both of your hands are free to work.
- Make a snack bag and bring some water in case you are stuck for a long period of time.
- Have a jack and four-way lug nut wrench to change a flat tire.
- A small flat wood board about 3 feet long can come in handy to wedge under your tire if stuck in a rut.
- Always make sure your battery is strong and if it’s getting towards the end of its life it’s best to replace it.
- Make sure your windshield wipers are new and washer fluid is full.
- Check your tire pressure often in the winter to make sure they are at the proper levels.
No one can predict the weather, not even the weather man most of the time. If you prepare you can be ready for whatever Jack Frost throws at you this year. I’m not guaranteeing these items will keep you on the road, but they will help you get back on the road or at least keep you warm and you won’t be hungry until someone comes to rescue you!